Thursday, September 11, 2008

SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 brought me to Kuwait!


Today as we had a special memorial remembering Sept 11, 2001, I realized a greater purpose in life. Some of us well get up today and go about business as usual and it will be an after thought about what happened just 7 years ago. Until the news or radio in your car ride to work reminds you of that horrid day. I still remember what I was doing on that day. In the streets of Philly leaving my client at her school (I was a TSS) and going to my job at Temple, Curtis Hall as an Student Academic Career Counselor. I remember getting a phone call asking if I heard what happened and then driving pass Temple Towers and seeing everyone walking around in disbelief. I didn't go in to my job but instantly turned on the news radio to hear the story. I was in such a dream daze after hearing the planes that hit NY then the Pentagon. I could only stop and pray and ask GOD for forgiveness of my sins because I thought it was the Rapture and I wanted to be called up! I went back to my apartment and turned on the TV and the visual of the planes was even more devastating then hearing through the radio waves. I called my mom and she said to get down on my knees and just start praying. I tried to reach everyone and anyone I knew in NY or around the DC area, but the lines were down. So I got on the next best thing black planet and emailing. At that time in my life I was without direction and had not found my purpose in life. I was working two jobs, in a not so healthy relationship, my parents were going through a nasty divorce and I had truly had an emotional breakdown.

Now 7 years later I know 911 was just that it was my wake up emergency call! I have now found such a great purpose in life because of the events that occurred on that horrid day. Lives were lost but souls were saved. I stand here today serving as a nurse in the United States Navy. I would have never thought in my life I would be in the military. But I consider this battle I am fighting is the Lords Navy. He orchestrated every part of my role I am playing now. Although I am not front line, I am serving and caring for those that put themselves in harm way everyday for our safety, for our protection and for our 911! 911 changed lives and changed our world as we no it today. So on today don't just go on as work as usual but think about your own 911 your own emergency call for change. Wake up and be an advocate at your job in your political position and in your walk with God. I am proud to be apart of this time and day. Hate to sound cliche'ess but God Bless America!

1 comment:

Totally Inspired said...

Rob, that was such an inspiring message.